Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Why I Loved This Year's RWA Conference, Part V

Highlight #5: The Goody Room

I've been to all kinds of conferences. When I was a nurse, I attended conferences for the pediatric specialty. When I was an editor, I attended those related to editing and science editing. I have even been a speaker at a conference or two.

But, I have to say, in all of my experience I have never seen anything like The Goody Room. Talk about Manna from Heaven. Can you say loads of free books? Including some hardbacks?

And there isn't just books. The room serves as the holding area for all author promotional materials. And some of the authors were very creative. Some had fans with their book cover imprinted on them; a few gave out lip gloss. My favorite: Chalk courtesy of The Writing Playground. The kids in my cul de sac loved it.

And what impressed me the most: Very little candy. Health care professionals always get and give candy. I know, ironic.

It is also a great place to volunteer. I worked in the room on Thursday and chatted with many friends and authors. I will be volunteering in the Goody Room again next year.

BKB :-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear the kids liked the chalk! And thanks for the shout-out. Good luck with your writing.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete